Things to do in Tauranga
Thanks to our Facebook friends for providing these family-friendly ideas for things to do in Tauranga.
1. Memorial Park: The park has a wee train, memorial swimming pools and a huge recently updated playground, right by the beach — huge running-about space and well away from the road. it also has a huge fountain which the kids love in summer.
2. Tauranga Historic Village: A free day out, giving a very cute representation of life back when Tauranga was new, lots of little interest shops, and curios, also a great place for kids’ parties and art interests. They often have kids’ fun during the holidays.
3. Marshall's Animal Farm: Marshall's Animal Farm is a park with all types of animals. You have the chance to feed them and pat them. It's located at McLaren Falls Park.
4. Mount Hot Pools: The Mount Hot Pools cater for children with various hot salt water pools and is located right under Mount Maunganui.
5. Bay Wave: Bay Wave Aquatic Centre has a wave pool, hydro slide and spa pool. There's a cafe where mum can relax too!
6. Go around or up The Mount: Walk around the base track of Mount Maunganui which takes about 45 minutes, take a picnic and go down on the grass, look at the rock pools or go onto the beach or follow one of the tracks to the summit!
7. Go to the beach: There are two sides to the Mount Maunganui beaches, Pilot's Bay is perfect for picnics and paddling as it doesn't have any waves, then on the other side on the main beach there's a heap of sand and waves! Good for the body boarders.
8. Katikati Bird Gardens: The bird gardens are beautiful to walk around and see the ducklings etc.
9. Waihi train rides: Take a drive out to Waihi and ride the historic train into the gorge with the goldfields railway.
10. Glo in the Dark Mini Putt and rock wall at the Rock House: The whole family can take part in the mini putt at the Rock House in Mount Maunganui, or have a go at rock wall-climbing — plenty of different sized walls for all ages.
11. Take a trip to Matakana: This is a great little day trip. Take a picnic lunch to the beach and explore the island and take advantage of the local tours, including a cart and horse!
We're always looking for other family friendly suggestions. If you have one please add it in the comments section below.