Questions for Care Providers
When choosing a LMC, you might find it useful to consider these 15 questions to help you find the LMC who is best for you and your baby.
- What experience and training has he/she had?
- What antenatal care does he/she provide?
- Does he/she do home visits?
- Does he/she work alone or with a group? (If your LMC works with a group you may want to meet the other people he/she works with.
- What support is on hand in case of an emergency?
- What are his/her views on home birth?
- If you choose to birth at home or in a birthing centre, under what conditions would he/she recommend you were transferred to hospital ?
- Is your partner welcome all the time during labour?
- Will he ever be asked to leave the room? If so why?
- What is his/her policy on induction, pain relief, episiotomy, routine monitoring?
- Is an epidural available?
- Can you walk around during labour and find the most comfortable position for yourself to birth?
- If you need to have a caesarean section, can your partner stay with you? Can it be done with an epidural?
- Will your baby be put to the breast immediately after birth?
- Is it possible to be alone with your baby and your partner immediately after birth?