Sumptuous baked oatmeal with raspberries
My recipes are always rooted in simplicity, and this simple baked oatmeal is a beautiful example of this.
Coconut oil for greasing
2¼ cups rolled oats
Zest of 1 lemon
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp sea salt
2 cups almond milk
2 free-range eggs
⅓ cup runny honey, plus extra for drizzling
2 tsp vanilla extract
1½ cups frozen raspberries
3 bananas, sliced in half lengthwise and peel removed
3 tbsp melted butter or coconut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C, and generously grease a baking dish with coconut oil.
2. In a bowl, mix together the oats, zest, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together the almond milk, eggs, honey and vanilla.
3. Sprinkle half the oat mix to cover the base of the baking dish, then scatter over half of the raspberries. Add another layer of the remaining oats, then slowly drizzle over the almond milk mixture until covered.
4. Finish by arranging the last of the raspberries and the banana slices on top. Drizzle over a little additional honey and the melted butter or coconut oil.
5. Bake for 35–40 minutes, until the top is golden and the oats have set. Be careful not to over-bake.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with thickened cream or natural yoghurt to bring it all together.
Recipe extracts from Simply Food by Eleanor Ozich, published by Penguin Random House NZ, RRP$45.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 53 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW