Recipe: chicken and leek pie
This pie is also fabulous with a potato topping. Replace the top with mashed potato and sprinkle with grated cheese.
15 minutes prep time | 50 minutes cooking time | serves 4
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large leek, sliced lengthwise then chopped
1 carrot, grated
½ tsp dried tarragon
½ tsp wholegrain mustard
1½ cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
400g chicken breast, cooked and shredded
50g grated tasty cheese
400g flaky puff pastry
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp water
300g whole green beans, steamed
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Melt butter in a medium-sized pot. Add garlic, leek and carrot. Cook on low heat (covered) until vegetables are soft, but not browned.
3. Add tarragon and mustard and stir. Add flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes. Slowly add chicken stock, stirring until it has thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
4. Add chicken and stir through.
5. On a lightly floured board, roll three quarters of the pastry to line a 20cm pie dish and leave the excess hanging over. Roll the remainder of the pastry to fit the top.
6. Spoon your filling mixture into the pie tin and sprinkle over the cheese. Brush the edges of the remaining pastry with beaten egg and place on the top, pressing the edges together. Brush the top with remaining egg.
7. Bake for 40 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden. Remove from oven and allow to set for 15 minutes. Serve with steamed green beans on the side.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 35 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW