Quick-prep slow cook meals: Devilled Sausages recipe
Quick-prep slow cook meal tips and a deliciously warming Devilled Sausages recipe that will be a dinner winner with your family this winter! By Laura MacDonald @thekiwicountrygirl.
How to freeze slow cooker prep bags
Devilled sausages are one of the ultimate comfort food meals that we never eat between October and April but feature pretty much weekly on the menu over the cooler months. There is something about sausages and mashed potatoes covered in the most delicious sauce that just makes cold nights so much more enjoyable!
Here’s a step by step guide to prepare meals that can be frozen ready for the slow cooker – perfect for busy days, so you can have more time free in the evenings!
If you are unfamiliar with this method, you basically prepare the meal that you plan to put in the slow cooker, only instead of cooking it right away you place the entire contents into a GLAD Snap Lock Reseal Bag and freeze! This way, you simply pull it out of the freezer the night before you want it, let it thaw in the fridge overnight and then empty the entire contents of the bag into the slow cooker and turn it on!
How easy is that?
For our family, GLAD Snap Lock Large Sandwich Bags are the perfect size. They also stand up well as you're filling them. For smaller meals you could use the regular sandwich size bag (I use these for pasta sauces or portions for my kids) or if you're feeding a big family or using larger ingredients such as lamb shanks, use the large bags.
Devilled Sausages recipe
- 8-10 sausages
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 apple, cored and cut in cubes
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 x 400-gram tin chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fruit chutney
- 2 Tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons allspice
- Salt & pepper to taste
Slow cooker (4-8 hours)
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, stir together well and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours. If desired, stir through 2 cups frozen peas 15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.
Slow cooker prep bag instructions
- Label a GLAD Snap Lock Large Sandwich Bag with the name, date and cooking instructions. Mix up all sauce ingredients in a jug and add to the snap lock bag along with the sausages if fresh. If you are like us and have frozen homekill sausages, you might be able to pop them out of the packet and put them in the bag still frozen, otherwise just store the sauce bag with instructions for cooking next to your sausages in the freezer, ready to pull out together!