RECIPE: Salt & vinegar potatoes with onion dip
A twist on the Kiwi classic of salt and vinegar chips and dip! The addition of vinegar makes these potatoes so different and delicious. They go perfectly with Pepper & Me On Yaaa Onion & Herb Dip Mix. Serve them as a snack or a side dish.
1.5 kg (3 lb 5 oz) agria potatoes, peeled
¼ cup white vinegar
2 tsp Pepper & Me Man Grind
50 g (1¾ oz) butter, cubed
¼ cup olive oil
spring onion, chopped, to serve
3 tsp Pepper & Me On Yaaa Onion & Herb Dip Mix
230 ml (7¾ fl oz) can reduced cream
lemon juice, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F) fan bake. Line 1-2 oven trays with baking paper.
2. Cut potatoes into 5 cm (2 in) chunks. Pop them in a large pot, cover with water and add 3 tablespoons vinegar and 1 teaspoon Man Grind. Bring to the boil, then boil for 15 minutes.
3. Drain potatoes, return to pot and pop in butter. Add oil and remaining vinegar and Man Grind and toss well. I let some pieces break up completely so they have a rough exterior to crisp up.
4. Arrange in a single layer on prepared tray/s and pop in oven for 25-30 minutes until super crispy.
5. While spuds are roasting, whip up Onion Dip. Add On Yaaa Onion & Herb Dip Mix into the can of reduced cream with a squeeze of lemon juice and stir well. Pop aside to mingle in the fridge for 10 minutes.
6. Serve the hot, crispy, salt and vinegar potatoes with Onion Dip on the side, and garnish with spring onion.
PEPPER & ME MAN GRIND
Man Grind is our number-one seller, and a staple in so many households. Its base of chunky rock salt is spiked with lemon pepper, herbs, garlic, a touch of chilli and some crushed bay leaves for a savoury note. If you don’t have Man Grind yet but would like to get stuck into my recipes, simply replace it with whatever salt you have on hand. pepperandme.co.nz
Images and text extracted from Together: Food for Sharing by Cherie Metcalfe, published by Allen & Unwin NZ, RRP $45
Photography: Melanie Jenkins
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 60 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW