Superhero food: vege delight muffins
This recipe is one of my favourites – so much goodness hidden in one little package! They’re exceptionally good warm with a dab of butter, but make great lunchbox fillers as well.
- ¾ cup shredded zucchini
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- ¼ cup corn
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- ½ cup stewed apples (alternatively can be diced small)
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp sea salt
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
1. Spread the zucchini, corn and carrots on a tray lined with
a paper towel to drain some of the moisture.
2. Place the eggs, brown sugar and stewed apples (if using) in a food processor and process for 30 seconds, until smooth. If using diced apples, then these can just be folded in at
3. Add the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and process for 15 seconds more.
4. Wrap the paper towel around the vegetables and give them a light squeeze to remove excess moisture, and then fold them into the batter. Add diced apple (if using) here.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups, filling each two thirds of the way full.
6. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from tin.
Hannah Gentile is a registered nutritionist and mother of two. She provides nutritional support and advice for conception, pregnancy, starting solids and fussy eating. Find her at nourishedbynature.co.nz.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 43 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW