DIY: barrels of fun
Practically any old bucket can serve a new purpose as storage with a dash of creativity and a lick of paint.
As soon as we saw these large drums, previously used as pasta shipping containers for a food importer, we thought toy storage! A Trade Me search would easily uncover similar drums or barrels, ready and waiting for some colour and a functional new life in a child’s bedroom or playroom. We even used an empty paint pail from Resene as part of this super easy upcycling project.
The drums provide a blank canvas for colours and designs to complement any décor. You could also take colour inspiration from your main living areas, to create toy storage that fits neatly (and unobtrusively) in your living room.
you will need
• Storage drums, barrels or buckets
• Masking tape – we love Resene's washi tape
• Primer – we love Resene Waterborne Smooth Surface Sealer adhesion primer, which provides a paint-ready finish without the need for sanding
• Resene Lustacryl semi-gloss paint in your choice of colours and Resene Enamacryl Metallic for any metallic finishes
1. Sketch out some designs and colour combinations. Children will love helping out with this step and offering their ideas.
2. Paint all exterior surfaces of your drums and buckets with Resene Waterborne Smooth Surface Sealer.
3. Paint a first coat in the base colour of your design. Allow this to dry and then paint a second coat.
4. When completely dry, mask off areas that are going to be painted in a contrasting colour, or use the tape to create patterns and designs ready for painting. Creative options are endless and it’s easier than it looks to use masking tape to section off stripes, shapes or patterns.
5. Paint two coats of contrasting colour where required to complete your design.
6. We finished off our storage bins with Resene Enamacryl Metallic in Resene Copperhead around the top and bottom rims of the drums. Masking around the finished paintwork allowed us to achieve a clean line when painting the rims.
Colours we used:
Visit your local Resene ColorShop, phone 0800 RESENE (737 363) or :
|SHOP ONLINE HERE|
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 33 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW