DIY project: kids kitchen
A HOMEMADE OVEN SERVES UP THE IMAGINARY FUN!
You will need:
✔️ An old bedside table with small cupboard
✔️ Medium grit sandpaper and block
✔️ Resene Quick Dry waterborne primer undercoat
✔️ Resene Lustacryl paint in your choice of colours
✔️ Resene Blackboard Paint
✔️ Paint rollers, sleeves and trays
✔️ Paint brush
✔️ A short handle for the front door
✔️ A long handle for the teatowel rail on the side (optional)
✔️ Knobs (and washers to attach to the back if you want the knobs to rotate)
✔️ 35mm hooks
1. If your bedside table is already painted or varnished, it pays to sand it to remove the sheen, which then helps new paint bond to the surface. Or, for smooth surfaces, use Resene Waterborne Smooth Surface Sealer.
2. Measure, cut and attach a piece of MDF board to the back of your bedside table, making sure that it runs the entire length of the unit. Measure and cut a smaller piece of wood for the top shelf and then screw in place.
3. Using a roller or brush, prime all surfaces with Resene Quick Dry waterborne primer undercoat. Once dry, apply a second coat.
4. Using a clean roller, apply the Resene Lustacryl paints in your chosen design. Wait for them to dry, then apply a topcoat.
5. Measure a square on the front door and paint with Resene Blackboard Paint. Once it is dry, apply a second coat.
6. To create the elements on top of the stove, find an object (such as a pot or bowl) that would be the right size to comfortably repeat four circles on the top of your unit. Trace around the edge with
a pencil to create the outlines of the four elements, making sure they are all evenly spaced.
7. Using a small artist’s brush and the remaining Resene Blackboard Paint, carefully paint around the edge of the first circle, trying to keep within the pencil line. Fill in the entire circle using a bigger brush. Repeat for the remaining circles. Wait for the paint to dry and apply a second coat.
8. Once the elements are dry, you can draw spirals on them with chalk. Likewise, you can draw something ‘cooking’ in the oven.
9. Finally, attach the handles, knobs and hooks – and then raid the kitchen drawers for all things miniature!
Colours we used:
Visit your local Resene ColorShop, phone 0800 RESENE (737 363) or :
|SHOP ONLINE HERE|
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 45 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW