DIY: stylish side table for any room
A STYLISH SIDE TABLE TO ACCENTUATE YOUR ROOM
you will need
🎔 Resene testpots in your choice of colour
🎔 Cardboard tube (eg from a cable drum or storage drum – search ‘cardboard drum’ on Trade Me).
🎔 Half-round finishing trim timber
🎔 Circle top (or pizza stone, serving board etc). We used the lid that came with the storage drum.
🎔 Wood glue (quick dry)
🎔 Paint brush
🎔 Hacksaw or mitre saw
🎔 Spirit level
1. The cardboard tube is the base of your table and what holds the half-rounds together. You’ll need to cut the half-round timber into pieces the length of the cardboard tube. You can either get a hardware store to cut this for you, or do it yourself with a mitre saw or hacksaw. To get the correct amount of half-rounds for your table, divide the circumference of the tube by the width of the half-rounds. For example, the circumference of our tube was 107cm and the width of our half-rounds was 3cm, so we needed 35 lengths of half-round.
2. With a spirit level, draw a straight line on the cardboard tube; this ensures that the first half-round is placed straight.
3. On the flat side of your first half-round, smear wood glue right down the middle. Place it on the cardboard tube along the pencil line. Press firmly for a few seconds, fix in place with clamps and allow to dry for a few minutes. Gradually glue on the remaining wooden half-round strips so they’re flush with the edge of each neighbouring strip.
4. If your maths wasn’t quite right and you end up with a gap that doesn’t fit your last half-round (as happened to us!), just glue a smaller bar into it. We had a 2cm gap which we filled with a smaller half-round. It’s hardly noticeable!
5. At the end, you may find slight differences in your half-round lengths; this can be remedied with a saw or you can sand them down with sandpaper. Only do this once the wood glue has completely dried.
6. Paint the top circle and the half-round table base separately with your choice of Resene colour/s. Once dry, simply glue on the circle top and leave to dry before using.
Colours we used:
Visit your local Resene ColorShop, phone 0800 RESENE (737 363) or :
|SHOP ONLINE HERE|
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 51 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW