Tutus, tulle, and metres of ribbon to celebrate your little ballerina’s birthday
A country hall, complete with a piano and barre, provided the ideal location for our ballerina party. Making the most of this opportunity to embrace froufrou, our first stop was Spotlight for miles of ribbon, tulle, and pearl trimming. We also grabbed silk flowers to decorate gold balloons, gold glitter, and the supplies for DIY ribbon wands.
Next we sourced outfits for our guests – leotards, singlets, tights, leggings, and matching chiffon ballet skirts that we stumbled upon at our local discount store.
Given the location, the outfits, and the masses of tulle, all our guests really wanted to do was dance. We asked pre-school ballet teacher, Shenae Taylor, to help us with some lessons, providing all the entertainment necessary. Shenae had the little girls captivated as they practised their pointe work, pirouettes, and pliés. We then handed out ribbons, turned up The Nutcracker Suite, sat back, and enjoyed an all-round delightful performance.
We handmade ribbon wands and no-sew tutus for our guests to take home as party favours, in lieu of goodie bags. Click here for step-by-step instructions on how to make your own ballet party accessories.
We focussed our efforts on setting the table with all things pink and pretty, and aside from that, a bunch of helium-filled balloons tied to a chair was all the decoration the quaint hall required.
Our tiny dancers worked up quite an appetite at the barre and were very happy sitting down to a table laden with treats.
Pink and white wafers, gluten-free strawberry and white cacao macaroons from Little Bird, ham sandwiches, mini fruit salad cups, popcorn served in individual doily cones, ballerina marshmallow pops, ballet slipper cookies, and, of course, the quintessential cupcakes.
Taking centre stage was a spectacular two-tiered cake, featuring ombre pink buttercream rosettes, edible lace, and a pair of fondant ballet slippers, made by the very talented Megan from MegR Cakes. facebook.com/MegRCakes.
• Two-tier rosettes and ribbon cake from MegR Cakes, facebook.com/MegRCakes.
• Strawberry and white cacao macaroons from littlebirdorganics.co.nz.
• Nylon netting in white and pink, pearl trimming, ribbon roses, gold balloons, mini foil cake cups, plastic teaspoons, gold glitter, ribbon, bells and wooden dowel rods for ribbon wands, all from Spotlight.
• LED seed lights and Sambellina cake plates from dotsnspots.co.nz.
• Little Dancers party tiaras and Little Dancers The Ballet cupcake kit from pixiepartysupplies.co.nz.
• Doilies, High Tea two-tier cake stands, Paper Eskimo baking cups (for the fruit salad), and Miss Etoile round rose diamond cupcake toppers from sweetpeaparties.co.nz.
• Baby pink striped paper straws from poprocparties.co.nz.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 30 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW