Family friendly activities in Hamilton
Thanks to our Facebook friends for their family-friendly ideas of what to do in Hamilton.
- A visit to Tinytott Farm (in Hamilton) is a must! Loads of animals to feed and play with. And you get a little tour around the farm as well as a miniature horse ride! Tinytott Farm
- Paint your own plate, cup or other cool item at Splashy business.
- Visit Girl on the Swing for a cupcake. So many flavours and soooo much buttercream deliciousness! Or alternatively sign up for a cupcake decorating class.
- Pack a picnic and head to Hamilton Lake. Always a family fave. Feed the ducks, play on the multitude of playgrounds for all ages or test out the daredevil in you on the giant slide!
- Playground at Claudelands Park. Fun, safe and family friendly with the adjacent Jubilee Bush which has an oval walking/bike/scooter path and large park area to fly kites, run around or just lie down in and watch the clouds float past.
- Day trip to Raglan. Only 30 mins drive from Hamilton with great places to eat, cute places to shop and browse including the coolest kids store Skoot. Not to mention the black sand and safe swimming beach by the campground. Pack the fishing line and catch sprats off the jetty before finishing off the day with yummy fish and chips.
- Potters Children's Garden at Parana Park. The cutest little water features and ponds for the kiddies to enjoy. Plus loads of adjacent river tracks to walk and discover.
It is along the river on Memorial Drive with unique art, an aviary and fountains the children can play in.
- Extreme Edge rock climbing. Tons of fun rock climbing challenges for kids of all ages. Over 35 themed climbing walls to keep the kids entertained.
- Theombroma chocolate shop in Westfield Chartwell. Best chocolate overload in town....Belgian waffles, fluffies followed by a date at Event Cinemas to watch the latest kiddie flick. During school hols they have awesome free activities and treasure hunts for the kids too. My kids love this place.
- Taitua Arboretum: It's free and a beautiful bush walk, there are gorgeous gazebos, lots of chickens, ducks and native birds, a lovely orchard of fruit trees, areas for picnics and it's buggy friendly too.
- Hamilton Gardens: Beautiful and also free! Family friendly with a good cafe and a small playground (although you don't really need it - the gardens are a playground on their own).
- Hamilton Zoo: Not free, but still awesome with an excellent layout and the animals include monkeys, tigers, rhinos etc.
- River walks, again free, buggy friendly, and beautiful and lots of playgrounds (depending on direction you go) along the way too. There are so many different parts to explore, such as city links to Hamilton Gardens following the river walk on the East side going south or you can go north to Memorial Park, Parana Park and others etc.
- Woodlands: Lovely cafe, huge grounds, they have a playhouse and trees the children can climb, climbing frames and a small hedge maze.
- Waterworld: Great push button splash pads (fountains etc) plus regular heated and cold swimming pools, slides etc,
- Bike Park, Maui St off Church Road so it is suitable for kids although used by adults also. Great for collecting pine cones.