Things to do in Hokianga
Thanks to our Facebook friends for providing family friendly ideas of what to do in Hokianga.
1. Sand boarding on the stunning picturesque sand dunes in Omapere, Hokianga: hokiangaexpress.webs.com
2. Tane Mahuta, the gaint Kauri tree Tane Mahuta, "Lord of the Forest" is the largest kauri tree in New Zealand. It stands close to the road and is estimated to be 2,300 years old. Forty seven metres high! Free entry, easy short walk, other lovely bush walks further up the road. Tane Mahuta
3. Rawene: Fluffies and smoothies at the Boatshed Cafe which sits over the water, overlooking the Rawene Harbour, 15 minutes from Opononi.
4. Labyrinth Puzzle shop & maze at Waiotemarama Gorge, about 10 minutes from Opononi: www.nzanity.co.nz
5. Waiotemarama waterfall walk. The Waiotemarama Falls are situated right next door to the Labyrinth Puzzle shop and Maze. Great picnic spot and shallow pool for the kids: waterfalls.co.nz.
A not-very-popular but impressive falls after rain, Waiotemarama Falls is located out of the beaten track in Waima Forest.
6. Nga springs natural geothermal hot pools, Ngawha springs.
7. Kai Iwi Lakes, crystal clear fresh water lakes. The Kai Iwi Lakes which cover an area of 305ha are suitable for a range of water based recreational activities. These include boating, diving, fishing, sailboarding, swimming, yachting and water skiing.
8. Low tide mermaid rock pools at Omapere South head. Explore the stunning Mermaid rock pools on the right low tide, walk along the beaches, or try your luck at fishing. Situated at the end of signal station road Omapere. You can also enjoy ice cream and fish and chips on the beach at sunset.
9. Opononi School Skate Park & school playground with a large concrete area for bike riding or field for sport.
10. Koutu boulders. hokiangatourism.org.nz