Red lentil and kumara mash for baby recipe
Nutritionist Anna Hansen offers kitchen tips and her favourite recipes for baby food jam-packed with goodness.
Suitable for babies from six months.
Makes approximately eight serves for a nine-month-old.
¼ cup red lentils (rinse well under cold water before cooking)
1 medium-sized kumara, cut into
300g pumpkin, cut into 1cm cubes
½ tablespoon avocado oil
1½ cups homemade chicken broth or water (avoid store-bought stocks as they are high in salt)
¼ courgette, cut into small sticks
Optional for babies eight months and older:
½ onion, finely chopped
½ teaspoon turmeric powder
½ teaspoon cumin powder
1. Sauté the onion in a pan over a low heat with the oil, paprika, and cumin until the onion is beginning to brown (omit this first step if preparing food for a baby younger than eight months old).
2. Add lentils, liquid, kumara, and pumpkin to the pan.
3. Cover and simmer for around 20 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are tender.
4. Steam courgette sticks separately.
5. Mash lentil and kumara until the desired consistency is reached. Serve with steamed courgette slices (or mash the courgette for younger babies).
* Freeze leftovers into age-appropriate serving portions.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 30 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW