Egg & Dairy FREE Chocolate Cake
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
2. Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
3. Mix all the ingredients together until completely combined and no lumps remain.
4. Pour mixture into a greased 20x20cm square baking tin.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes.
Let cake cool completely, then sprinkle over icing sugar using a sieve or ice with your favourite icing. We have included an icing recipe below, but just so you know, it's not dairy free.
OPTIONAL ICING RECIPE (includes dairy)
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 cup icing sugar
1 Tablespoon milk
1/4 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Melt butter in a small saucepan (or in the microwave).
2. Stir in cocoa powder to make a thick paste.
3. Transfer chocolate mixture to a medium size mixing bowl. With mixer on low speed, add in icing sugar, milk and vanilla.
4. Once ingredients are incorporated, turn mixer to medium high speed and beat about 5 minutes, until frosting is smooth and creamy. Spread on top of cooled cake.