Gluten-free lemon orange meringue pie
Taken from Sweet: Treats to Share, this is a delicious gluten-free dessert from Jimmy Boswell.
Gluten-free Short Sweet Pie Crust
½ cup melted margarine
½ cup ricotta
½ cup sour cream
1½ cups white rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
2 tbsp cornflour
2 cups caster sugar
pinch of salt
1. Mix together the margarine, ricotta and sour cream. Sift in the dry ingredients and form into a ball of dough. Roll the dough out into a circle between two sheets of rice-floured plastic wrap. Transfer to a 25cm flan dish and flute the edges. Chill for at least 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C. Wrap the edges of the crust in foil and bake for 20–25 minutes. Remove the foil and allow to cool completely. Turn the oven down to 160°C.
3. To make the filling, grate the lemon and orange zest, making sure not to get any of the white pith. Set aside.
4. Use a sharp knife (or small serrated knife) to remove all the skin and pith from the fruit. Segment the fruit and squeeze the juices into the bowl of a food processor, making sure to remove any pips. Add the segments to the bowl and pulse at high speed until they are completely broken up. Transfer the mixture to a medium mixing bowl.
5. Combine the cornflour and one and a half cups sugar. Add to the fruit, whisking to combine. Beat in 3 whole eggs and 3 egg yolks (reserve 3 egg whites). Stir in 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest and all but half a teaspoon of the orange zest. Transfer the mixture to a heavy-based, medium saucepan over a low heat.
Whisk until the mixture thickens but does not boil. Continue whisking vigorously for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely.
6. Spread the filling evenly into the cooled crust. Using an electric mixer, beat the reserved egg whites and salt in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar and beat for about 3 more minutes. Beat in the reserved orange zest.
7. Spread the meringue over the filling and bake until meringue is golden, about 15 minutes. Cool and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Reproduced with permission from Sweet: Treats to Share. Published by Penguin Group NZ. RRP $45.00. Copyright recipe © Jimmy Boswell, 2014. Copyright photography © Manja Wachsmith, 2014. Available nationwide.
For a recipe from the same book for Tiramisu click here.