Luscious upside down berry cake
Make the most of summer berries with this luscious upside down berry cake.
2 tbsp brown sugar
800g mixed berries* such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries
100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
150g almond meal
1/4 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup self raising flour
2 tsp vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
60 mls of milk at room temp (warm in the microwave for 30 seconds if it's straight from the fridge)
To serve - natural yoghurt or creme fraiche
* When using berries it is best to use fresh berries as they do not hold water as opposed to frozen berries. This will make a more dense cake, if you do not have access to fresh ones though, frozen are still fine.
- Preheat oven to 180degrees
- Grease a 23cm round cake tin
- Spread the brown sugar evenly on the case of the tin. Push the mixed berries over the base, making sure the base is covered with the berries
- Beat the remaining ingredients except the natural yoghurt/ creme fraiche, using an electric mixer
- Ensure all the ingredients are combined well
- Pour the mix over the berries, ensuring the base is completely covered with the batter
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until firm to the touch and golden
- Once cooked leave the cake to cool in the tin for 10 minutes
- Turn out onto a plate and serve with the natural yoghurt or creme fraiche
Voila! This fruity treat will leave your guests and family definitely wanting more!
Recipe shared by www.sweetsfortilly.com.au