RECIPE: Strawberry Chop Salad
I’m calling this a chop salad because it’s important to pay attention to the chopping so you get all the bits nice and even to have a visually appealing end result. Fresh and vibrant, the strawberries bring a delicious sweet touch to this salad, making it the perfect summer barbecue side dish. I’m in love with the combo of fresh strawberries and fresh cracked pepper – our Pepper On Me seasoning is perfect for this!
1 large cucumber
150 g (5½ oz) baby spinach
1 small handful fresh chives
1 punnet fresh strawberries
¼ cup toasted almonds
Pepper & Me Pepper On Me seasoning
Dijon Honey Dressing
¼ cup olive oil
3 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp honey
1 tsp Pepper & Me Man Grind
1. To make the Dijon Honey Dressing, combine all ingredients in a jar and shake well.Start chopping!
2. Halve cucumber lengthways, cut into long strips, then batons, then crossways into a fine dice. Place in a large bowl.
3. Gather spinach into bunches and shred finely. Add to cucumber.
4. Finely chop chives and add these too.
5. Do your best to slice and dice strawberries a similar size to cucumber.
6. Drizzle with Dijon Honey Dressing – you should only need about half but add more or less to taste. Any remaining dressing will last a few months in the fridge.
7. Add almonds and toss well.
8. Serve in a large, shallow bowl with Pepper On Me ground over the top.
Images and text extracted from Together: Food for Sharing by Cherie Metcalfe, published by Allen & Unwin NZ, RRP $45
Photography: Melanie Jenkins
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 60 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW