Recipe: Banana muffins with lemon icing
These cute banana muffins are delicious with or without the lemon icing. The recipe makes 18 standard-sized muffins or at least 24 mini ones.
100 g (3½ oz) butter
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 bananas, mashed
¾ cup milk
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups icing sugar
2 Tbsp butter, softened
1 Tbsp finely grated lemon zest, plus extra to garnish
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp boiling water
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan bake.
- Arrange paper cases in muffin tins.
- Melt the butter in a large glass bowl in the microwave. Stir in the sugar, eggs and vanilla, then the bananas and milk.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and soda and fold together until combined. Divide the mixture evenly between the paper cases.
- Bake for 18–23 minutes until cooked through and golden on top.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes before transferring the muffins (still in their paper cases) to a wire rack.
- To make the Lemon Icing, mix the icing sugar, butter, lemon zest and juice. Add the boiling water and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Spread the icing over the cooled muffins with a butter knife, and garnish with extra lemon zest.
- Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 4 days.
Images and text extracted from Everyday Favourites: Delicious, easy meal solutions for busy families by Vanya Insull, published by Allen & Unwin NZ, RRP: $39.99. Photography by Melanie Jenkins, Flash Studios.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 59 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW