Recipe: Classic chocolate cake with buttercream frosting
This is my absolute go-to chocolate cake, ideal for a child’s birthday cake. The whole cake is made in the mixer, keeping the dishes to a minimum and your hands free to keep working! The cake itself is not too sweet, which balances out the sweet raspberry buttercream. A chocolate sprinkle topping is great for birthday parties, while the freeze-dried raspberry version is slightly more sophisticated.
150 g (51/2 oz) butter, melted
11/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup milk
2 cups plain flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp instant coffee
1 cup boiling water
100 g (31/2 oz) butter, softened
30 g (1 oz) frozen raspberries, thawed
11/2 cups icing sugar
1 Tbsp crushed freeze-dried raspberries
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan bake.
- Line a 22 cm (81/2 in) square cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla in the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk together at medium speed. Add milk and whisk again.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Dissolve the baking soda and coffee in the boiling water, add to the bowl and whisk at medium speed until there are no lumps.
- Transfer to the lined cake tin and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- If making the Raspberry Buttercream, whip the butter in a stand mixer or with hand-held beaters for 2 minutes until pale. Mash the thawed raspberries with the back of a spoon, then add to the butter along with the icing sugar. Whip on a high speed until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Spread the buttercream over the cooled cake and scatter with the freeze-dried raspberries.
Images and text extracted from Everyday Favourites: Delicious, easy meal solutions for busy families by Vanya Insull, published by Allen & Unwin NZ, RRP: $39.99. Photography by Melanie Jenkins, Flash Studios.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 59 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW