Recipe: Sticky date and caramel slice
One of my all-time favourite desserts is sticky date pudding, and I thought it was time I made a slice that combines the flavours of dates with a creamy caramel golden syrup icing.
Makes 16 pieces
175 g (6 oz) butter
½ cup brown sugar
150 g (5½ oz) dates, chopped
1½ cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
1 egg, whisked
50 g (1¾ oz) butter
3 Tbsp golden syrup
1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
- Line a 20 cm (8 in) square slice tin with baking paper.
- Melt the butter and sugar in a large pot over a low heat. Add the dates and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes until the dates soften.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the egg, and mix together until just combined.
- Transfer to the lined slice tin and press out evenly, smoothing the top with the back of a metal spoon.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden on top. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before icing.
- To make the Caramel Icing, melt together the butter and golden syrup, sift in the icing sugar, and whisk until there are no lumps.
- Spread the icing over the base while it is still warm. Allow to cool and set before removing from the tin and cutting into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to a week.
Images and text extracted from Everyday Favourites: Delicious, easy meal solutions for busy families by Vanya Insull, published by Allen & Unwin NZ, RRP: $39.99. Photography by Melanie Jenkins, Flash Studios.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 59 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW