Food On The Run - Snacks Ideas For Kids
Grab some snacks, scoop up the kids and enjoy getting out and about.
Fun, fast foods
Any parent of a preschooler will know that a great day out can very quickly turn to custard if the kids go too long between drinks (or snacks). Try these ideas for a quick bite on the run:
- Cheese and rice crackers or apple slices, raisins, mandarin quarters
- Hummus and carrot sticks
- Cashews or almonds and dried apricots
- Omelette cut into strips
- Cooked, still warm macaroni and cheese pieces or cooked peas
- Mini pita pockets, stuffed with egg, cucumber and/or grated carrot
- Frozen peas and cheese pieces (good for at home when dinner’s running late)
If you’ve got the time, or maybe you’re off on a special picnic, try these more adventurous snack ideas:
- Mini kebabs, using toothpicks: with a wedge of cheese, cube of cucumber or apple, chunk of ham, cherry tomato, grape or marshmallow.
- Pancake rolls with lemon and sugar.
- Mini sandwich shapes: use heart, star or crescent shapes for bite-sized Marmite, peanut butter or jam sandwiches.
- Celery “boats” filled with cream cheese or peanut butter.
- Blueberries (grapes or mandarin segments) plus digestive biscuit “sandwiches” filled with cream cheese.
- Savoury pikelets: Add some grated carrot, crushed frozen peas or other finely chopped vegies plus a cup of cheese to your usual pikelet recipe.
How do you like them apples?
Sometimes the simplest ideas are the best. Like this: Cut an apple in four, carefully remove the core, put the pieces back together, pop on a rubber band and off you trot!
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 23 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW