Recipe: Fudgy brownie slice with peanut butter vanilla frosting
To my dearest peanut butter lovers, this one’s for you! I created this extremely easy recipe with everyone in mind because, seriously, who wouldn’t enjoy a soft, chewy chocolate brownie with the fudgiest of textures and a smooth, peanut-buttery vanilla frosting to finish?
If you’re not a fan of peanut butter, don’t worry, I’ve got you. Simply replace it with your preferred nut butter, such as almond or cashew butter, or omit the frosting altogether and enjoy this wholesome brownie in all of its solo glory (it’s still amazing!). Whatever you decide, store this one in a sealed container in the fridge to maintain the perfect texture.
2 cups walnuts
1½ cups pitted medjool dates
½ cup cacao powder
½ cup coconut flour
⅓ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup raisins
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon sea salt
PEANUT BUTTER VANILLA FROSTING
½ cup smooth peanut butter
¼ cup coconut cream (thick top layer)
¼ cup pure maple syrup
2 tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼–½ cup chopped walnuts
1. Line a 20 cm (8 in) square dish with baking paper.
2. For the fudgy brownie, place the walnuts in a large food processor and blend for about 30 seconds, or until you have a fine, crumb-like texture.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients and blend until the mixture forms a dough-like ball.
4. Tip the mixture into the prepared dish and press down firmly to pack evenly.
5. For the frosting, heat a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the ingredients and stir until the coconut oil is melted and the ingredients are well combined.
6. Pour over the brownie and spread out evenly.
7. Scatter over the extra chopped walnuts, if using. Freeze for about 2 hours to set.
8. To serve, remove from the dish and slice into 20 squares.
9. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Images and text extracted from Simple Wholefoods by Sophie Steevens published by Allen & Unwin NZ, RRP: $49.99. Photography by Lottie Hedley.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 57 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW