Recipe: Peppermint Weet-Bix slice
This is a twist on my website’s most popular recipe of all time – Chocolate Weet-Bix Slice. After making it for years, I decided it was time to mix things up with a peppermint icing. I’ve included both versions here so you can make them and decide which one is your favourite.
185 g (6½ oz) butter
1 cup white sugar
2 Tbsp cocoa
3 Weet-Bix, crushed
1 cup plain flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 tsp baking powder
2½ cups icing sugar
11/2 tsp peppermint essence
50 g (1¾ oz) butter, melted
3-4 Tbsp boiling water
1 drop green food colouring (optional)
Chocolate drizzle (optional)
50 g (1¾ oz) milk chocolate
1 tsp vegetable oil
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan bake.
- Line a 27 x 17 cm (101/2 x 61/2 in) slice tin with baking paper.
- Melt together the butter, sugar and cocoa in a large pot over a low heat. Remove from the heat then add the Weet-Bix, flour, coconut and baking powder. Mix together.
- Transfer to the lined slice tin and press out evenly.
- Bake for 14–18 minutes until the slice is cooked but feels soft to the touch in the centre. It will firm up as it cools.
- To make the Peppermint Icing, mix the icing sugar, peppermint essence and melted butter. Add the boiling water as needed to loosen the mixture, and whisk until there are no lumps. Add a drop of food colouring if you want to make the icing minty green.
- If making the Chocolate Drizzle, melt the chocolate in the microwave in 15-second bursts, stirring well each time. Don’t let it get too hot or it might split and ruin your chocolate. Stir in the oil and whisk until smooth. Transfer to a small piping bag made from baking paper or a sealable bag with the corner snipped off.
- Spread the icing over the base while it is still warm. Allow to cool and set before removing from the tin, cutting into pieces and adding the Chocolate Drizzle, if desired.
- Store in an airtight container in the pantry for up to 3 days.
Images and text extracted from Everyday Favourites: Delicious, easy meal solutions for busy families by Vanya Insull, published by Allen & Unwin NZ, RRP: $39.99. Photography by Melanie Jenkins, Flash Studios.
AS FEATURED IN ISSUE 59 OF OHbaby! MAGAZINE. CHECK OUT OTHER ARTICLES IN THIS ISSUE BELOW